In a recent show of patriotism and testosterone-fueled fantasticness, I’ve become obsessed (once more) with the classic, roaring hit Top Gun. Seriously people, have you watched the dog fights in that thing?! They’re just as good 20 years later, and oh my gosh, HAVE YOU HEARD THE SOUNDTRACK!? I can’t stop listening to it (except for that annoying song by Berlin).
What makes Top Gun effing amazing? I’m so glad you asked…
1. F-14 Tomcats – I dare one of you to tell me that the planes in Top Gun aren’t totally badass. Split tailed, razor-edged metal beasts of glorified firepower blistering through the sky in pursuit of the always appreciated Soviets. Ah, I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.
2. Aviators – Oh yes, that just happened. I love my Raybans like the next guy (or gal) but we all know that they got their sacred start on the heads of aviators, and Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer put the awesome in cool with their pairs. Who wouldn’t want to don a pair of the most BA sunglasses ever?
3. The girl – Alright, I’m not a huge fan of Charlie, but for the sake of the movie, she works. The only thing missing from an adrenaline-fueled dog fight would be an attractive leading lady, and while she’s no Jennifer Aniston, she does the trick with her big hair.
4. It’s not a chick flick – I don’t mind chick flicks; they have their place (preferably on the bottom shelf) BUT Top Gun has too many explosions, senseless Cold War drama, and the camaraderie that only a non-chick flick can bring to light.
5. Best one liners –
a. Negative, Ghost Rider…
b. Talk to me, Goose
c. Great, he’s probably saying “holy shit, it’s Maverick and Goose”
d. I’m not gonna sit here and blow sunshine up your ass, Lieutenant
e. Son, your ego is writing checks your body can’t cash
f. This is what I call a target-rich environment
g. I’m going to need a beer to put these flames out
h. Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations. You know, giving him the bird!
i. That was some of the best flying I’ve seen to date – right up to the part where you got killed…
j. She’s lost that loving feeling… No, she hasn’t. Yes, she has.
6. It’s just freaking awesome – There is something for everyone in this movie. If you don’t like it then either A) you aren’t American B) you have no soul or C) see A and B. The first time I saw this movie, under the guise of a babysitter without parental approval (what a sneak I was), I was hooked. I have always had the utmost respect for the Navy, my grandfather served, and not only do they have freaking sweet boats, but they’ve got planes too. Win win!
7. It’s inspirational – It’s hard to come away from this flick without feeling inspired to do great things. I want to contribute, climb ladders, do my job with honor and integrity, and be loyal to the end to my friends and family. Of course this movie isn’t all peaches and cream, but I call it like I see it. Five out of five!
As an aside, I just received an email this morning that Lambeau Field (Packers) did a special presentation for those who served in the military back in 2011. See the pictures below. How come this stuff doesn’t make the freaking news more often?!
Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Top Gun is a movie about the best of the best, and don’t we all want to be the best at something? I’ve written many, many times about being more than exceptional, about blowing the status quo out of the water and being phenomenal. I’m not saying we should all be fighter pilots, although isn’t that every young boys dream? We should, however, hone our skill set continually, strive to be the cream of the crop, and press always onward and upward. Friday is nearly upon us!